luciferase in Drosophila

dhickey at maeve.genetics.uottawa.ca dhickey at maeve.genetics.uottawa.ca
Mon Nov 20 12:10:00 EST 1995

Joachim Urban writes : I was wondering if anyone has tried the luciferase system in
Drosophila.

     We have made a series of transgenic lines in which the luciferase coding region
is under the control of the alpha amylase promoter. These strains express high
levels of luciferase activity. This activity is confined to the midgut and is
repressible by dietary glucose, thus reflecting the activity pattern of the amylase
promoter. This promoter may not be suitable for studies on early embryogenesis, but
the system should work with any promoter.

Donal Hickey.