Phyllis Oster Retirement

Dr. Ron Woodruff rwoodru at BGNET.BGSU.EDU
Wed Nov 22 12:41:44 EST 1995

        After 30 years as Curator of the Mid-America Drosophila Stock
Center at Bowling Green State University, Phyllis Oster will retire on
March 1, 1996.

        The success of our Center, which has been funded by NSF for over 30
years, is entirely based on the professional dedication of Phyllis to the
Center.  Just to give you an idea of what she has done over the years:
Since 1975, when we started to keep detailed records, the Center has
received 16,703 stock requests and Phyllis has mailed out 76,579 stocks to
research and teaching laboratories all over the world.  Last year we
received 939 stock requests, which is the second highest number of requests
since 1975.
        Most people tell us that the quality of our stocks is outstanding,
and always mite free. In addition, we are told that everyone appreciates
the large number of flies that we send with each request.  This quality
control is entirely due to the work of Phyllis. She works on the weekends
and after hours many days to keep up with the stock requests and the huge
amount of work in helping to transfer approximately 4,600 stocks (27,600
vials at any one time).
        Phyllis has certaintly been a unique resource to the Drosophila
community.  If you have a chance, you might give her an e-mail message
(Poster at opie.bgsu.edu or Dmelano at opie.bgsu.edu) and help me thank her for
all of her years of service to our Drosophila community.
         In April of this year at the fly meeting, I asked the Drosophila
Board to formally recognize Phyllis for her 30 years of service. The
Drosophila Board Meeting Minutes for that April 5, 1995, meeting states
that "There was general concurrence with this, in principle."
        I should add that Phyllis is retiring because of problems with her
wrists caused by long-term transferring of Drosophila vials.  We will miss
her. I will be asking Phyllis to continue as a consultant, on a part-time
basis, until we hire a new Curator.

        Thank you, Ron C. Woodruff