fixing tissues

A.Gilchrist at ucl.ac.uk A.Gilchrist at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 13:46:31 EST 1995

I'm trying to prepare D melanogaster adult tissues (esp female reproductive
organs) for wax embedding and sectioning.

Does anyone have any ideas/opinions on which particular fixatives
(paraformaldehyde, glutaraldehyde, Carnoy's, methanol/acetic acid etc) work
well, bearing in mind that I DON'T want to do in situs, just histological
staining after the sectioning?  I'm more interested in preservation of
morphology than in treating the tissues for an in situ.  I can only seem to
find protocols relating to in situs and/or embryos.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart Gilchrist
ucbhasg at ucl.ac.uk