pupal development and sub-optimal diets

R.D.J. Catchpole PAB5RDJC at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Oct 24 06:55:33 EST 1995

Dear All,
Does anyone know of a reason why the length of pupal
development should change in response to a sub-optimal
larval diet? I've been looking at two species,
D.virilis and D.melanogaster which respond in totally
different ways. When the same number of larvae are
placed on the same amount of food, larval development
increases in D.melanogaster while pupal and total
development time decreases. D.virilis does the
reverse. The cause of changes in larval development
are obvious but I cannot find any references to
changes in pupal development, the accepted opinion
appears to be that this doesn't happen. Any
suggestions?????

Thanks in advance.
Roger