painting drosophila

Chris Jones jonesc at cshl.org
Wed Oct 25 12:56:39 EST 1995

In article <9509188140.AA814037274 at gandalf.bio.uci.edu>, LDMUELLE at UCI.EDU
("Laurence D. MUELLER") wrote:

>    I am not an artist but rather am interested to hear if anyone has
>    had success permanantly marking individual flies with paint or
>    some other substance.  My goal is ultimately study age-structure
>    in laboratory populations.  My initial tests with water soluble
>    acrylic paint have failed because the paints wear off on many
>    flies within a week.

I have no references to hand, I'm afraid, but I've read about a number of
capture-recapture studies in the field which use fluorescent dust (?) or
paint. A search in FlyBase should give you what you need to know. If you
can't find anything, let me know and I'll try and dig up some references.

--
Chris Jones (jonesc at cshl.org)