How do flies land on the ceiling ?

Jim Heath heath at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 27 20:35:31 EST 1995

In article <46bhds$svd at cri.ens-lyon.fr>,
   jmfriedt at ens-lyon.fr (Jean-Michel Friedt) wrote:
>Im sorry do disturb you, im not even sure if these are the right newsgroups
>to ask this :
>
>I have been looking for quite a while now at how flies land on the ceiling.
>I mean flies fly head up but land on the ceiling with their head toward the
>floor ... I've been wondering how they turn around from the head-up position
>to the head down position (no I am NOT crazy, i am just a physicist :).
>So what i am looking for would be a movie/video/pictures of flying insects
>landing in positions as different as possible from their flying position.
>I would be very happy if someone can answer me, and excuse me for my bad
>english. Thank you, Jean-Michel FRIEDT.

"They somersault.  They fly along very close to the ceiling, reach
up with their front feet, grab hold, and flip over."

That's quoting my own little book, "The Fly in Your Eye".  I wrote
it in 1989 and don't remember where I got the information, but
the whole text was checked by the Entomology Division of the
CSIRO in Australia, so it's correct.  Any flies in Australia
that do it differently are severely punished.

Jim Heath

E-mail: heath at iinet.net.au
http://www.iinet.net.au/~heath/
Perth, Australia
PGP fingerprint:
B3 D4 67 95 DF 49 CF 42  CF 6E 52 AD 42 9B 68 62