drosophila disease ?

Adelaide T C Carpenter Genetics atc12 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 31 15:41:02 EST 1995

In article <47317a$phj at vishnu.jussieu.fr> poinsot at ccr.jussieu.fr writes:
>We have been breeding Drosophila for years on standard medium (corn meal,
>agar, dry yeast and nipagine). But now adults die and fist instar larva
>do not enter the medium but stay on the surface and climb on the walls of
>the vials. No bacterial or fungic contamination, nor mite were detected.
>Can you help us please? we are loosing our strains!
>Thank you in advance.

This is exactly the phenotype of food that istoo acid (has too
low a pH).  In my experience (while at UCSD) the culprit was the
dry yeast;  commercial dry Sacchyromyces is for some reason acidic,
and some batches are more so than others.  We solved that problem
then by switching to dry Torrula (another yeast), which is not
acidic;  the flies loved it -- and it was even less expensive!

Adelaide
Z       Z

Z Z