drosophila disease ?

Kathy Matthews matthewk at FLY.BIO.INDIANA.EDU
Tue Oct 31 09:49:20 EST 1995

> We have been breeding Drosophila for years on standard medium (corn meal,
> agar, dry yeast and nipagine). But now adults die and fist instar larva
> do not enter the medium but stay on the surface and climb on the walls of
> the vials. No bacterial or fungic contamination, nor mite were detected.
> Can you help us please? we are loosing our strains!
> Thank you in advance.

Over-hard food could be the problem.  If you have changed brands of agar,
or even batches, you may need to adjust the concentration to get a
suitable medium.

--  Kathy

Kathy Matthews			Bloomington Drosophila Stock Center
Department of Biology		MATTHEWK at FLY.BIO.INDIANA.EDU
Indiana University              MATTHEWK at INDIANA.EDU
Bloomington, IN  47405-6801     812-855-5782