Sick flies need your help

Hampton Carson hampton at hawaii.edu
Thu Sep 14 15:19:22 EST 1995

Richard:
In DIS 31, page 170, 1957, Wolfson, Stalker and I published a note on an
infection of Drosophila stocks that sounds a little like what you are
experiencing. It turned out to be a microsporidian protozoan parasite; as
I recall it was referred by a protozoologist at Illinois (name not
recalled by me) as a species of Nosema.  We got rid of it by isolating all
stocks with symptoms and redoubling our efforts to autoclave everything
that could be spared. As the note suggests, Nosema spores are ovoid, 4-5
microns in length and have an extremely thick and rigid capsule. Thus
they are easily seen in the light microscope so diagnosis is easy. I'm
sorry that this was so long ago that I cannot recall exactly what it took
to clean up, but it was certainly a serious problem. Maybe others can
respond to this.

Hamp Carson
Department of Genetics and Molecular biology
School of Medicine, University of Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822