Sick flies need your help

Mark D. Garfinkel mg16 at kimbark.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 14 07:38:57 EST 1995

In article <m0st0gk-000a60C at sun.cis.smu.edu>,
Richard S. Jones <rjones at sun.cis.smu.edu> wrote:
>HELP!!!
>
>Our fly facility is struggling with an infectious fly disease (NOT MITES).  The
>symptoms include significant embryonic, larval, and pupal lethality in stocks
>that carry no recessive lethal mutations.  Also, 10 to 50% of affected adults
>often die within one week following eclosion.  Some stocks are more susceptible
>to these symptoms than others. [...]

	This problem sounds vaguely familiar.

	Do the deadly symptoms appear when the stocks are kept on food
sprinkled with dry active yeast? Have you changed dry active yeast
suppliers or batches?

Mark

PS - Please set your newsposting-editing software to ca. 75 columns of type.
     This will make reading & replying to your posts a little cleaner-
--
Mark D. Garfinkel (e-mail: mg16 at midway.uchicago.edu)
(c) 1995; all rights reserved. Permission granted for Usenet quotation