Polytene Chromosome Squashes

Denise Storck-schattner storck-s at it.uwp.edu
Fri Sep 15 15:09:59 EST 1995

Hi!  I am a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin - Parkside.
I have been following this newsgroup for about a month now, and I have
witnessed how helpful it can be to fellow Drosophila researchers.

I am wondering if anyone out there knows a good way to chromosome arm
separation when performing a squash of the salivary chromosomes.  Right
now, I use a pencil to tap the chromosomes before squashing them firmly
with my thumbs, but when I view them under the microscope, they are too
bunched together, and therfore, I cannot see all the bands clearly.  I am
following Protocol 17 in the Drosophila Laboratory Handbook by
Ashburner.  Any help or suggestions in this process will be greatly
appreciated.  Thank you.

Denise Schattner
Biological Sciences Graduate Department
University of Wisconsin - Parkside