P element screens

Denise Signorelli sgnrlli at FREENET.MACATAWA.ORG
Mon Apr 1 15:31:14 EST 1996

Dear Netters,
  For the last five years I have been tracking a mutation from a P
element screen.  And now it is apparent (at the level of Southern blots)
that the lesion is not associated with P element hybridizing sequences.
Has this occurred to anyone else?
  I read of a case where HOBO transposed in a P element screen.  Do other
transposons do this?  Are there references?  What are your hypotheses on
the origin of a 1.8Kb insert that does hybridize to P element sequences?
  Any and all suggestions will be appreciated, especially if they come
with references I can use in my thesis!  To prove to my committee that I
am not the only cursed individual in the fly world.

Sincerely,
Denise Signorelli
grad student
Univ of Ks Med Ctr