Drosophila neuron membranes

dhodges at UCI.EDU dhodges at UCI.EDU
Wed Aug 14 19:34:24 EST 1996

Does anyone have  references or first hand information regarding the lipid
content of Drosophila cells, in particular neurons?  I have attempted to
permeabilize cultured embryonic neurons using a variety of lipids  and
streptolysin O, which is known to act via cholesterol in the membrane.  I
have seen no evidence of uptake of a fluorescent reporter using either
method at a variety of concentrations and under many different conditions.
I am beginning to believe that fly membranes are drastically different from
mammalian cell membranes.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dianne Hodges
UC Irvine
Dept. of Anatomy & Neurobiology