fly food problems

Jim Price jprice at sfu.ca
Thu Aug 29 17:48:28 EST 1996

We have recently been having problems with our fly food drying our too much.

We are using a cornmeal/yeast/agar mixture with sucrose glucose and salts added.

We tried reducing the agar from about 8 gms/ltr to 6 gms/ltr.  This does
not seem to have helped.  The problem started about the time we got a new
batch of cornmeal, and I am wondering if the meal could be causing the
problem.  It appears to be the same courseness as the previous batch.

We are now contemplating increasing the water in the recipe by 10%.  If
anyone has any idea what may be causing our problem, and/or how to fix it,
your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim Price

jprice at sfu.ca