[bio.dros] fly plague (only in bottles)?

Kageyuki YAMAOKA dros at HAKUSRV.TOYO.AC.JP
Mon Dec 2 20:36:43 EST 1996

In message <jonesc-0212961147170001 at news.cshl.org>
   "[bio.dros] fly plague (only in bottles)?"
   "jonesc at cshl.org (Chris Jones)" wrote:

jonesc> Another plea for advice flung into the ether:
jonesc>
jonesc> We're seeing a new problem with our lab stocks:
jonesc>
jonesc> In some bottles a high proportion of flies will fail to eclose, with many
jonesc> pupae (and sometimes wandering third instars) dying and turning black.
jonesc> This phenomenon is not consistent, and a given stock will be affected for
jonesc> 1 or 2 generations, then appear to be fine for 1 or 2 more. It will also
jonesc> appear first in a few bottles then in the entire tub in a subsequent
jonesc> generation. Mites are not the problem, nor is there any obvious mold or
jonesc> fungus. We suspect some infectious agent; Nosema has been mentioned as a
jonesc> problem on this group recently, but the original poster didn't mention the
jonesc> pupae blackening, and our adults don't appear to suffer the same early
jonesc> mortality he described.
jonesc>
jonesc> This "plague" doesn't happen, at least at a significant level, in vial
jonesc> stocks, only in lines we've expanded into bottles.
jonesc>
jonesc> Has anyone out there seen this "black pupae" phenomenon, and if so, how
jonesc> did you deal with it? I'll be happy to summarize any responses not posted
jonesc> to the group.
jonesc>
jonesc> --
jonesc> Chris Jones (jonesc at cshl.org)
jonesc>
jonesc>
jonesc>

If you will have some info's, can I share them with you? Because some times
I have almost same problems on my stock.

Thank youin advance.

****** Kageyuki YAMAOKA   e-mail: dros at hakusrv.toyo.ac.jp *****
         Natural Science Lab., Toyo Univ. Asaka Campus
         2-11-10 Oka, Asaka, Saitama, Japan   Zip: 351
     Phone: +81-48-468-6631 & -6717   FAX: +81-48-468-6890
************* Private Phone & FAX: +81-471-33-0731*************