[bio.dros] fly plague (only in bottles)?

Emma Rushton rushton at biology.utah.edu
Thu Dec 5 12:05:37 EST 1996

> >jonesc> Another plea for advice flung into the ether:
> We're seeing a new problem with our lab stocks:
>In some bottles a high proportion of flies will fail to eclose, with
> many pupae (and sometimes wandering third instars) dying and turning black.

We have noticed larvae dying and going black on the wall of the tube in
overcrowded stocks that express beta-galactosidase.
We found that not letting them get overcrowded keeps the problem at bay.
Emma

(sorry I had to cut a large amount of the original message to persuade my
newsreader programme to take this message)