Drosopohila repleta, Massachusetts, Pest Management

Hampton Carson hampton at hawaii.edu
Fri Dec 6 21:12:06 EST 1996

Mark:

There are some peculiarities in the ecology of repleta!  Your management
system should include the coverage of rest-rooms and particularly
urinals.The exact relationship here, as far as I know, is still not clear
and I hope this note may elicit new information from some Drosophila
ecologist.
Some of its relatives (e.g. mercatorum) are virtually blow-flies and will
lay eggs on and complete development on meat and fish. (mercatorum looks a
lot like repleta, but is browner).  I once took a dead laboratory mouse,
skinned it partially and put it in a sealed aquarium with some young
mercatorum:  the result was a large culture of healthy adults! One of its
close relatives is the crab parasite, D. carcinophila, which breeds on
green gland exudates on the live crob (see elaboration of this in Bruce
Wallace's paper 1978 The adaptation of D. virilis to life on an artificial
crab. Amer. Nat.112:971-973. Keep me informed, please

With aloha from Hawaii

Hampton L. Carson
Department of Genetics
University of Hawaii at Manoa