Balancer chromosomes

Benjamin J. Bolival bolivs at
Thu Feb 1 00:20:47 EST 1996

On 29 Jan 1996, Sebastien Michaud wrote:

> Salutations to all !
> 	I am looking for any basic references about the construction and usage
> of balancer chromosomes for Drosophila genetics (as this will allow me to
> concisely explain to my lab fellow -which are NOT geneticist- what is and
> why do we use such chromosomes).
> 	Thank you very much,
> 					Sebastien Michaud
> 				      (smichaud at

>Hello Sebastien,

Lindsley & Zimm's Genome of Drosophila melanogaster (Academic, 1992) and
Michael Ashburner's Drosophila: A Laboratory Handbook  (ColdSpring Harbor
Lab Press, 1989) will give you the needed info as well as added biblio.

FlyBase (URL address may also provide you the
needed info.

Good Luck,
Benjamin J. Bolival Jr.
Natural Sciences Research Institute