Balancer chromosomes

Benjamin J. Bolival bolivs at ene.engg.upd.edu.ph
Thu Feb 1 00:20:47 EST 1996

On 29 Jan 1996, Sebastien Michaud wrote:

> Salutations to all !
> 	I am looking for any basic references about the construction and usage
> of balancer chromosomes for Drosophila genetics (as this will allow me to
> concisely explain to my lab fellow -which are NOT geneticist- what is and
> why do we use such chromosomes).
> 	Thank you very much,
> 					Sebastien Michaud
> 				      (smichaud at rsvs.ulaval.ca)
>

>Hello Sebastien,

Lindsley & Zimm's Genome of Drosophila melanogaster (Academic, 1992) and
Michael Ashburner's Drosophila: A Laboratory Handbook  (ColdSpring Harbor
Lab Press, 1989) will give you the needed info as well as added biblio.

FlyBase (URL address http://morgan.harvard.edu/) may also provide you the
needed info.

Good Luck,
Benjamin J. Bolival Jr.