Cross-breeding

Jennifer Weber jweber at julian.uwo.ca
Sun Feb 25 20:19:51 EST 1996

In article <4gclap$m5k at taurus.neca.com>, Mike Tormey <nobody at nowhere.net> wrote:

> I am only a student in high school, so this is a very basic
> question. My class is cross breeding different types of
> drosophila. I am breeding a group of wild type with a group
> of eyless type. My problem is differentiating between male
> and female. I was told that their gender depends on the shape
> of their end segment. Can anyone help me sort them out? Also,
> I have to knock them out so I can seperate them. My only
> options are to put them in my freezer, or use a device that
> will gas them with carbon dioxide. Neither method lasts long
> enough to seperate them. I have to have the first batch ready
> by the 22nd of this month. Can anyone help me with this
> problem? Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>                 -Mike Tormey <mtormey at neca.com

Mike:
   Males have more pointed ends and generally their back ends are a solid
black color.  Their genitals usually are darker (brown) than females. Also
their front legs have a black stripe (sex combs) about half way up.
   Females have more rounded ends and generally their back ends are striped.

   If you are having trouble keeping them all knocked out, work with
smaller numbers at any one time.
                           Julie

--

Molecular Genetics Unit