dispersal distances

Hampton Carson hampton at hawaii.edu
Fri Jan 26 16:01:39 EST 1996

Back in the 1950's, Harrison Stalker and I did a number of experiments,
some rather elaborate, on dispersal of Drosophila robusta in forest areas
and suburbs of St. Louis. In one case, in the spring, we set up a set of
concentric circles of traps, caught many flies in them, and marked them
and released them at the circle center. After doing this for some weeks
without getting a single return, we abandoned the experiment! Maybe the
flies in spring are exceptionally motile, since in another smaller case we
did get a few returns. I also caught some robusta at my home near St.
Louis and released them a mile or so away, as I recall. I got a few
returns. Research notes on such things would be among Stalker's and my
research notes that are deposited at the American Philosophical Society
archives in Philadelphia. Good recapture results were published for one
of the Hawaiian species in Fontdevila and Carson 1978 Amer. Nat. 111:789-791.
I suppose you have a copy of this.

With Aloha and good luck with a frustrating but interesting project

Hamp Carson