visually impared mel stock?

R.D.J. Catchpole PAB5RDJC at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jun 18 04:09:38 EST 1996

Dear All,

I would be grateful if someone could help me with the following
problem.  I need to obtain some mutant stocks of D.melanogaster
which are visually impared for an ecological experiment.  It's very
important that the mutation does not have any associated
pleiotropic effects on the fitness of the stock, including their
competitive ability.  The degree of visual acuity should be such
that they are still able to negotiate small openings and move
around a complex series of tubes.  This should be at a much slower
rate in comparison to the wild type, i.e. I need to reduce the
rate of dispersal in my system.  A white eyed mutant (w) would be
too severe in this situation - can anyone make a few suggestions
about likely candidates please?

Thanks in advance
Roger