Help : K currents from Drosophila embryonic neurons

Vijay Gupta gupta at acsu.buffalo.edu
Wed Mar 6 16:56:15 EST 1996

Hi !

I am recording potassium currents from Drosophila embryonic neurons, and
have some technical queries.

Is it easy to go into the whole cell mode of voltage clamp without
getting any leak currents? I find that the probability of getting a good
current is very low in this system. I want to know if this generally
happens while recording potassium currents from this system.

Can anyone tell me the success rate of recording potassium currents from
these neurons?

IS observing a high leak common in these cells?

How long can the currents be recorded from these cells in the whole cell
mode?

Can anyone send me a good embryonic culture protocol?

IS there a procedure to obtain isolated neurons other than using
cytochalasin/chemically enriched medium?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I am posting this from a friend's account so could you please reply
to me at khanna at acsu.buffalo.edu

Thanks

Bye
Ashish