FD&C Blue #1 as indicator of ingestion

Martin E. Feder m-feder at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 25 06:30:43 EST 1996

I am attempting to use a food coloring agent, FD&C Blue #1, to measure
feeding rates in Drosophila larvae.  This dye does not pass the gut
wall and can therefore be used as an indicator of food consumption.
The protocol I am using requires FD&C Blue #1 in its pure (i.e.,
powdered) form.  Most sources at the wholesale and retail level sell a
blue food color solution, which is FD&C Blue #1 dissolved in a mixture
of liquids.  Obviously these sources buy the powder from a supplier,
and then dissolve it for wholesale or retail sale.  My question is: Do
you have names/addresses/phone #s for any of the original
manufacturers of FD&C Blue #1?

I would appreciate any information you can provide.  Thanks in
advance.

Dr. Martin E. Feder
Professor
Department of Organismal Biology & Anatomy
The University of Chicago
1027 East 57th Street
Chicago, IL 60637 USA
E-Mail: m-feder at uchicago.edu