drosophila diapause

William J. Etges wetges at COMP.UARK.EDU
Tue Nov 5 16:46:02 EST 1996

>Dear Andrew: Long ago with Stalker, I described a strong reproductive
>diapause among wild adult females of Drosophila robusta in the midwest of
>US. It was characterized by regression of adult ovaries to very small
>bodies and the deposition of large sheets of body fat. You can check the
>original paper (no reprints!!) Carson, H. L. and H. D.Stalker 1948
>Reproductive diapause in natural populations of Drosophila robusta.Proc.
>Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 34:124-129.  This event occurred in autumn.
>With Aloha.
>
>Hamp Carson
>On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Andrew P. Beckerman wrote:
>
>> Just a curiosity - any knowledge on what life history stage drosophila in
>> the wild diapause in and where (ground, vegetation, etc?).
>>
>> please respond to andrew.beckerman at yale.edu
>>
>> thanks
>> andrew

Andrew,
        In addition to D. robusta, there are a number of papers documenting
adult diapause in D. littoralis and D. lummei, species inhabiting Finland.
These are members of the virilis group. I find it odd that so few examples
of diapause have been identified in temperate species of Drosophila.

Lumme, J. and A. Oikarinen.  1977.  The genetic basis of geographically
variable diapause in Drosophila littoralis.  Hereditas  86:129-142.

Lumme, J. and L. Keranen.  1978.  Photoperiodic  diapause in Drosophila
lummei Hackman is controlled by an X-chromosomal factor.  Hereditas
89:261-262.

Oikarinen, A. and J. Lumme  1979.  Selection against photoperiodic
reproductive diapause in Drosophila littoralis.  Hereditas 90:119-125.

Bill

William J. Etges
Department of Biological Sciences
SCEN 629
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701  USA
wetges at comp.uark.edu
http://comp.uark.edu/~wetges/wetges.html
voice: (501) 575-6358
 FAX   (501) 575-4010

"The income tax has made more liars out of the
American people than golf has."
.........Will Rogers, April 8, 1923