How to get rid of fruit flies in house

haroldbnkr at haroldbnkr at
Wed Nov 6 09:39:52 EST 1996

Our house seems to be getting taken over by fruit flies!
We first noticed them about 2 or 3 weeks ago and can't figure out where
they're coming from.  They just fly about the house with no apparent
preference for the fruit bowl, plants or our little covered compost pail.
We've managed to catch a few with jars containing different concoctions
like beer, vinegar, wine and a pear core in water covered with saran wrap
with some small holes punched through.  However, there are still dozens
flying about for every one that we catch!
Got any suggestions?

Harold Bunker
Etobicoke, Ontario