Mold in fruit fly media

Chihara chihara at usfca.edu
Tue Nov 12 14:26:43 EST 1996


Jill Hendrickson wrote:
> 
> Well, this won't be very comforting, but I've found that the only way to
> get rid of mold once you have it, is to put the flies in a new bottle
> every day for 3 or 4 days.  They clean themselves off and poop out all
> the mold they eat so the mold only goes away if they get put into a clean
> bottle after that.
> Maybe you could put them in a new bottle every two hours or so on the same
> day if you only have access once a week. Might have the same effect.
> I haven't found any mold inhibitors that work.
> 
> Jill
> 
> On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Nelson Gee-con Chen wrote:
> 
> > Hello,
> >   I am an amateur trying to breed some fruit flies for an experiment, but
> > I have a problem. I do not have access to the flies all the time, and with
> > access limited to aroun once/week, the fruit fly media tends to grow mold
> > which kills the flies. The fly media I'm using is supposed to have a mold
> > inhibitor, but apparently it is not working well enough. Any advice on
> > combatting mold in the media would be greatly appreciated.
> > Sincerely,
> > Nelson Chen
> > (nchen at utk.edu)
> >
Why not take a few bottles (or vials) and the flies home with you. 
Until they are cleaned up they don't serve for experimental purposes and
so you do not really need to keep them in an incubator.  Transfer them
carefully so as not to shake the mold into the new bottle. I have done
this in the past and let the flies transfer themselves by inverting the
new bottle over the old and letting them walk in. Now you can use the
method suggested above.
Good luck.



More information about the Dros mailing list