hobo element questions

Byron Williams bw28 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 8 14:15:01 EST 1996

We have recently discovered a hobo element insertion associated with a
mutant discovered in a P-element mutagenesis screen.  This element has
inserted into an intron of the gene.  The element appears to be a
truncated derivative of hobo, being only 1.6 kb, and may correspond to
the Th1 or Th2 forms of the element.

My questions are: has anyone found a similar circumstance occuring
with mutants occurring in their P-element screen?  Is there any way to
check to see if the hobo element is causing the mutation (such as
excision of the element upon exposure to hobo transposase)?

Thank you,

Byron Williams