cuticle preps

Ed Stephenson estephen at BIOLOGY.AS.UA.EDU
Wed Oct 9 11:49:30 EST 1996

> Fellow flyfolk,
> Is there an alternative to Hoyer's for mounting cuticle preps?
> Is there an alternative protocol for cuticle preps?
> Your help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance
> MAKIS SKOULAKIS

Polyvinyllactophenol gives comparable results. There is no fixation
step, you simply mount dechorionated embryos in this and place on a
slide warmer for several days. PVLP clears the embryos and hardens to
make a permanent slide. I bought some from Gurr long ago, but I don't
know if it's still available. I once had a recipe for PVLP, taken
from an old histology/cytology book - it contains phenol, lactic acid
and polyvinyl alcohol I think, but I no longer have the recipe or the
book. You will probably be able to find it in an old histology book.

Ed Stephenson