How to fix adult thorax

Sean Sweeney ss2 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 14 15:24:09 EST 1996

In article <Pine.HPP.3.91.961014110638.27625A-100000 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
Laurina Ginnity <ginnity at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to mount adult thorax in Hoyer's but I am having trouble with
> smashing the thoraxes in the process.  I am thinking of trying to fix
> them and then mounting them with a bridge type coverslip.
>
>  I am wondering if there is anyone who know a good way
>  to permeablize and fix the adults.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Laurina Manning

We fix our adult flies in 4% paraformaldehyde/PBS whilst ripping off the
legs and any other appendages which get in our way. We then stain in x-gal
for however long it takes and then bleach the carcasses in 4%
paraformaldehyde/PBS/15%H2O2 overnight at 4 degrees C.

Dont know if you're trying to stain for X-gal but I thought this might help.

Sean

--
Sean Sweeney
Department of Genetics