Bilateral colour asymmetry

Hampton Carson hampton at hawaii.edu
Tue Oct 22 16:51:15 EST 1996

Geoff:

What you have described is very likely to be a genetic mosaic from the
time of fertilization.  Lots of these are known in Drosophila of different
species.The bilateral asymnmetry you have described, on a strict saggital
line, is well known.

Color patterns of lobsters would be an interesting research
topic. The land crab, Gecarcinus ruricola, a land crab from the Caribbean
has incredible color polymorphism among adults buts nothing is known about
its inheritance.

With Aloha from

Hamp Carson