"meaningless" names

John Reinitz reinitz at panix.com
Thu Oct 24 11:38:05 EST 1996

In article <v01540b00ae951c8374f6@[129.93.45.115]>,
Alan C. Christensen, Ph.D. <achristensen at CRCVMS.UNL.EDU> wrote:
>There has been some comment here on the use of meaningless or silly names
>such as the "raw prawn" neuron.
>"It is amusing to note that Campbell found it necessary to rename his
>mutants after learning more about them, whereas the name amber is just as
>meaningless, and thus just as useful now, as when the mutants were first
>discovered and named for Mrs. Bernstein".

Not only is Alan's comment dead-on, but let us not forget Mrs Bernstein's
famous sisters, Opal and Ochre Bernstein :-)

--John, who thinks amino acids are good names for girls,
like "Lysine" and "Arginine".

---
John Reinitz <reinitz at kruppel.molbio.mssm.edu> v:212-241-1952 f:212-860-9279
USnail: Brookdale Center for Molecular Bio., Box 1126 Mt. Sinai Med. School,
One Gustave L. Levy Place, NYC, NY 10029 USA. I don't speak for/from Mt. Sinai.
email me for pgp 2.3a public key; k.f. = D7C9356AEBF0F04BDE380BBB3DB84E5E