Acronym, "RP" neuron

yamaoka kageyuki bun 6631 dros at HAKUSRV.TOYO.AC.JP
Thu Oct 24 02:23:03 EST 1996

Dear Colleagues:

Several weeks ago I posted a question about the origin of an agronym "RP"
neuron.
I received many e-mails, and knew many person wished to share the info about
this matter. So info's received must be open to all.

Dr. Shaoyu Wang's opinion was of interesting one. He wrote:
>After talking with my colleagues here I come up following piece of info.:
>You might  refer to the paper by Kendal Broadie et al (1993, Development
>supplement 227-238). Anthers wrote in this paper " Finding memorable names
>for identified neurons is not always easy, and in this instance the acronym
>RP, picked late one night over a decade ago by M.B. (Michael Bate) and
>C.S.G (C. Goodman), stands for "raw prawn", an Australian phrase aptly
>describing the delicate and innocent appearance of two cells--RP1 and
>RP2--as they were first discovered in the embryo of the moth Manduca sexta
>and then by homology in thr grasshopper and fruitfly (Thomas et al, 1984).
>The meaning of the "raw prawn" can be appreciated in the example: don't
>come the "raw prawn" with me. It means that don't try to fool me.
>
>Cheers
>Shaoyu

Now, we can use this agronym contentedly as a nickname of this type of neurons.

I appreciate to all who kindly wrote me replies.
Best Wishes.

******* Kageyuki Yamaoka,  e-mail:dros at hakusrv.toyo.ac.jp *******
         Natural Science Lab., Toyo Univ. Asaka Campus
            2-11-10 Oka, Asaka, Saitama 351, Japan
    Phone: +(81)48-468-6631 & -6717; Fax: +(81)48-468-6790
************* Private Phone & Fax: +(81)471-33-0731 *************