Bilateral colour asymmetry

Richard Gordon gordonr at cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Oct 23 19:44:14 EST 1996

It seems to me we have a number of mechanisms for keeping cells from
crossing the axis or midline of a bilaterally symmetric organism:

1) perfect symmetry, as exemplified (?) by rare bilateral genetic mosaics
(which reveal this by colored symmetry);
2) mechanics: symmetrical invagination, etc., of sheets of cells,
effectively keeping the midline neat;
3) cell adhesion differences, preventing cells from crossing a
"compartmental boundary";
4) bilateral asymmetrization, causing a gene expression difference between
the two sides.

Have I got them all? What's the evidence to allow us to chose? Is one
mechanism basic, and the others derived from it? -Dick Gordon

At 11:42 AM 10/23/96 -1000, Hampton Carson wrote:
>Dick Gordon may be right but strict left-right mosaics are very
>spectacular and unusual.
>Hamp Carson

Dr. Richard Gordon, Department of Radiology
University of Manitoba, Room ON104, Health Sciences Centre
820 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg, MB R3A 1R9 Canada
Phone: (204) 789-3828,  Fax: (204) 787-2080, Home: (204) 589-0411
E-mail: GordonR at cc.UManitoba.ca