Walking on the ceiling?

Balaji Iyengar g9426467 at MCMAIL.CIS.MCMASTER.CA
Sat Sep 7 11:46:17 EST 1996

A.J. Davis wrote:

> In article <50ognl$9c9 at fang.dsto.defence.gov.au>,
> "Lance.Holden" <lah> wrote:
> >I am trying to find the answer to a question proposed
> casually at work, the
> >solution has evaded me despite the entire resources of the
> internet.
> >
> >The question was this..
> >  " When a fly lands on the ceiling, does it flip in air or
> does it fly upside
> >down (barrel roll) on the ceiling?"
> >
> >I would appreciate any answers to this question thank you.
> >
> >Lance Holden.
> >

> neither - they raise the front legs above their head, grap
> the support above them and swing the body forwards and up so
> that their other four legs can grip.  There's a Steve Dalton
> film of this with house flies i believe.
>
> Andrew

I wonder if they have to raise their leg knowing there is a ceiling
above. I think their natural attitude during flight involves the
longitudinal axis making an obtuse angle with the ceiling (during slow
speed flights?) , also there is flight attitude which involves all legs
to be yanked up a little .. (reminds me of the skydivers attitude when
they free fall), anyway, they probably dont intend to land there, they
just may stop flying as soon as they touch the ceiling, and their sticky
foot pads do the rest.

Bala