Drosophila specific db search

Michael Myers myersm at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
Mon Sep 9 10:34:59 EST 1996

In article <myersm-0909960931470001 at mysersm-pb.rockefeller.edu>,
myersm at rockvax.rockefeller.edu (Michael Myers) wrote:

>Unless the NCBI has added new features that I'm unaware of, one cannot
>search a subset of the sequence databases.
>
>I was wondering if a fly group has prepared a publicly accessible server
>that contains *only* Drosophila sequence data and the BLAST programs.
>Optimally, this restricted database would be as up to date as the one at
>NIH.

I'm replying to my own post with two sites that I found for doing
restricted db searches, in case anyone else is interested.

1) FASTA and TFASTA implementation by Don Gilbert at Indiana University.

            <http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu:81/srsfasta/sfsectionsearch.html>

You can search one of the following db subsets:

arabidopsis
caenorhabditis
drosophila
oryza            rice
poaceae          wheat,corn,rice and related
rattus           rat
murinae          rat,mouse and related
saccharomyces

2) BLAST searches of fly sequence via the Berkley Drosophila Genome Project.

           <http://flybane.berkeley.edu/blastpage.html>

Michael Myers
Laboratory of Genetics
The Rockefeller University