Request for GAL4/UAS line data submissions

FlyBase Project Members flybase at MORGAN.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Sep 17 13:14:42 EST 1996

Dear Colleagues,

FlyBase is posting this on behalf of Norbert Perrimon and Andrea Brand.

Please do not respond directly to this email, rather
mail to:

	perrimon at rascal.med.harvard.edu
		OR
	ahb at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk

Dear Drosophilists,

Because of the wide use of the GAL4/UAS system to study Drosophila
development, we are asking your help in establishing a database of the
various Gal4 and UAS lines that have been generated to date. We would like
to receive from your laboratory a description of the lines that you have
generated and feel are appropriate for distribution at this time.

 It is our goal to make this database accessible to all through
FlyBase.  For this purpose, Bill Gelbart and colleagues have set up a
FlyBase Web site with forms for direct submission of the data on these
GAL4 and UAS lines.  The URL for this site is:
        http://morgan.harvard.edu/htbin-post/gal4.script

The information requested by FlyBase will allow people to submit
new and updated GAL4/UAS information in a way that will allow it
to be posted quickly on FlyBase.

We are requesting that submission of the materials be made by October 31st.
This will allow us to determine the level of interest for generating this
type of database.

Our only request is that if you list a line, you respond to requests for
stocks publicized in the database. We expect to work with the Bloomington
Stock Center to expand their collection of GAL4/UAS lines to minimize the
burden of sending stocks.

If you have questions about the FlyBase data submission forms, you
should email: flybase-help at morgan.harvard.edu.  Other questions should
be addressed to Norbert or Andrea.

We are looking forward working with you in this project.

Norbert Perrimon and Andrea Brand

Norbert Perrimon, Ph.D.
Department of Genetics
Harvard Medical School