FlyBase Gene Order Map

FlyBase Project Members flybase at MORGAN.HARVARD.EDU
Sat Sep 21 23:33:54 EST 1996

Gene-order map

FlyBase is pleased to announce the first release of its gene-order map.
This map is generated by computer analysis of map data of all kinds --
recombination, complementation, cytological and molecular -- together
with case-by-case inspection and elimination of conflicts.  For each
chromosome arm there are two formats: an ASCII version, suitable for
viewing in a web browser, and a PostScript one, suitable for printing.
They are in the subdirectory "geneorder" of the Maps folder in FlyBase.

This map has a novel format, designed to convey information on both the
cytological location of genes and the gene order.  Please consult the
documentation for an explanation of this format, eg of why a gene symbol
can appear more than once.  Questions should be directed to Aubrey
de Grey at ag24 at gen.cam.ac.uk or to flybase-help at morgan.harvard.edu.

This first release is the draft of a map that will be published in a
special issue of DIS in a few months' time.  Therefore, we strongly
encourage feedback from the community on this draft, so that corrections
can be incorporated in time for that issue.  Please send all such data
to flybase-updates at morgan.harvard.edu.  If at all possible, please
include in your message a citation for the information, so that we can
attach it in the database to the proper publication.

Hereafter, the data generated in this way will be released in three
electronic forms:

- updates of this map;
- summary cytological and gene-order text at the head of each FlyBase
    gene entry, indicating how the map position is deduced (eg, which
    are the limiting deficiency breakpoints);
- input data to our existing map-based search facilities, such as the
    pickable graphical maps and CytoSearch.

Additionally, we have annotated the gene and aberration text to indicate
those map statements which have, in the course of generating this map, been
found to conflict with other data and inferred to be erroneous.  All such
suspect statements are now preceded by "???".  We have taken great care in
evaluating the competing claims to veracity of conflicting assertions, but
there will doubtless be cases where we have marked the wrong statement as
suspect.  Furthermore, in many cases we have not established whether the
suspect statement is actually present in the paper or whether there has
been a transcription error.  So please tell us (and don't be too put out!)
if you are the victim of an error in this annotation.