filters for drosophila.net

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at NET.BIO.NET
Sun Apr 6 10:37:03 EST 1997

> Dear Dr. Kristofferson,
>
> Julie Lawrence suggested that I contact you to ask about the possibility of
> having filters installed for the Drosophila news group.  The newsgroup has
> recently had an epidemic of cross-posting about topics such as God,
> Neo-Nazi's, "Dogless"-ness (a satire of a christian cross-posting that
> accused the drosophila news-group of being "Godless").  These threads have
> overwhelmed the ng, and driven many people to cancel their subscriptions to
> the newsgroup. If you look at the postings of the last 2 weeks you will see
> the extent of the problem.  (Most of the postings w/o a subject listing are
> attempts to unsubscribe.) By driving away legitimate participants in the
> ng, the cross-posting is jeoprodizing the ng for everyone.
>
> Based on other annoying recent cross-postings, messages that contain the
> words Cash and Money could also be filtered out without causing any
> disappointment to the ng users.
>
> Any help you can provide to reduce the problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jim Price

> >> Is it possible to set the bio.net server to filter out messages that
> >> contain terms like God, Nazi, and .com from the header of incoming messages
> >> to keep them from being transmitted to the news groups?

I appreciate the problem that you are describing as it is the biggest
threat to the contiuned existance of the newsgroups.  However, your
note immediately above illustrates the problem with filters.  If we
were to filter out, e.g., ".com" from the header of messages, eveybody
at biotech companies would be excluded from participating.  There are
countless similar problems with filters and they require additional
work at our central location which we simply do not have the resources
for.

The best solution to these problems is to have someone (or a group of
up to three people) step forward to moderate the newsgroup.  It only
takes a few seconds to scan each message and then forward it on to a
processing address here for delivery to the newsgroup.

I am going to copy the drosophila newsgroup on this in case anyone is
interested in this solution.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager