POSTDOCTORAL POSITION

David Shepherd D.Shepherd at soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 03:29:05 EST 1997

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION

Available immediately on a BBSRC funded project to study the mechanisms
controlling the growth of sensory axons in embryonic and adult Drosophila.
The project focuses on the role of a small subset of embryonic sensory
neurons which have been shown to persist through metamorphosis and whose
axons prefigure the pathways taken by adult sensory axons. Current data
suggest that these neurons act as guidance cues for controlling the
assembly of the adult sensory projections and as such provide the template
of the adult sensory projections. Our working hypothesis is that these
axons are required for the orderly assembly of the adult sensory axon
arrays. To test this the project will use laser ablation to kill individual
sensory neurons and the Gal4 expression system to alter the characteristics
of sensory neurons.

The ideal candidate will have experience with Drosophila and a neuroscience
background but enthusiasm and dedication will more than make up for any
deficiency in these areas.

If you are interested or would like more information you can either contact
me directly (Email or phone)  or check out my web pages
(http://www.soton.ac.uk/~ds/).

David Shepherd
School of Biological Sciences
University of Southampton