polytene chromosomes

Rawheid heikai at unixg.ubc.ca
Sat Apr 12 21:46:21 EST 1997

I am having a lot of trouble with an assignment on polytene chromosomes.
I was wondering of anyone could help me out.  I'd like to know how
strand replication occurs in the vicinity of the
euchromatin/heterochromatin junction at the DNA level and how this would
look.  I'd also like to know what kind of compensatory mechanisms there
are to guard against reduced fertility in Drosophila which have a
heterozygous paracentric inversion.  Many thanks in advance for any
help.