More on lacZ

Fyodor_Urnov Fyodor_Urnov at brown.edu
Tue Apr 15 16:22:40 EST 1997

Folks, first off, thanks to everyone who responded to my biolistic gun query.
For those interested, the short punchline is that it doesn't work very well
and is hard to get to work.  The lower amounts of DNA that get into the embryo
(as compared to manual injection) appear to be the bottleneck.

Second, and my apologies for cluttering this newsgroup with my requests for
info, could some kind soul provide me with the reference and/or the protocol
for visualizing beta-galactosidase expression in _living_ embryos/larvae?
Note that I am _not_ after any procedure as a consequence of which you have a
dead, blue (in more ways than one! :-)) embryo.  I would like the embryo to
live and continue developing into a happy adult fly.  I guess the procedure
involves bathing the embryo in x-gal, but what are the details?...

Many thanks in advance for any comments.  In case this version of the
newsreader is misconfigured, my e-mail is: Fyodor_Urnov at brown.edu

Sincerely,

Dr. Fyodor Urnov
Brown University