Postdoctoral Position

Robert F. Clark, Ph.D. rdclark at voy.net
Tue Apr 15 18:58:53 EST 1997

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION

A postdoctoral position is immediately available on an RCMI funded project
focusing on the use of Drosophila as a model organism to study the proteins
involved with early-onset Alzheimer's disease. Research will start on the
characterization of the Drosophila homologue to human presenilin, the major
early-onset Alzheimer's disease gene. My lab has recently isolated and
preliminarily characterized this gene (Clark et al., submitted), an
extension from my work with the characterization of the human presenilin 1
and 2 genes (e.g. Clark, R.F., Hutton, M., Fuldner, R.A., et al. (1995) The
Structure of the Chromosome 14 Alzheimer's Disease Gene, PS-1, and
Identification of Six Novel  Mutations in Early Onset AD Families, Nature
Genetics 11 :219-222.; Clark, R.F., Cruts, M., Korenblat, K.M., He, C.,
Talbot, C., Van Broeckhoven, C., and Goate, A.M.  (1995)  A Yeast
Artificial Chromosome Contig from Human Chromosome 14q24 Spanning the
Alzheimer's Disease Locus AD3, Hum. Mol. Genet. 4: 1347-1354). Recent data
suggests a role for this gene in neurodevelopment, as well as apoptosis.

The ideal candidate will have experience with Drosophila and basic
molecular biology, although previous Drosophila work is not necessary.

If you are interested, please send a CV, a summary of research interests,
and the names and addresses of three references to:

	Robert F. Clark
	Department of Psychiatry
	Meharry Medical College
	Nashville, TN   37221
	615-327-6012
	Fax #: 615-321-2999
	Email: clarkr59 at ccvax.mmc.edu

I will be attending this year's fly meeting and will be willing to discuss
the position at my poster (Poster# 206A, Thursday 2-3pm) or leave me a
message on the board.

Meharry Medical College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer. Minorities and women are enthusiastically encouraged to apply.