Questions about drosophila

Mark Thorson eee at netcom.com
Thu Aug 14 11:35:52 EST 1997

In article <199708131939.MAA29977 at f27.hotmail.com>,
Shiraz Davis <spdav at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>              I would like to know if I mated apterous flies with the
>wildtype for ten generations, would I find more wild type than apterous
>or would the gene/ allelic frequency change. Please e-mail me at
>spdav at hotmail.com.

The answer that is simple and wrong is that the wings are
used in the mating ritual, so the apterous flies would be
at a disadvantage and their numbers would decline.

The answer your professor is probably looking for is that
heterozygote apterous flies (one apterous gene, phenotype
has normal wings) are far more robust than wild type.
They are more like cockroaches.  You can hit one with
a rubber mallet, and it will survive.

So although apterous is a disadvantage in the homozygote
condition, the advantage in the heterozygote condition is
so strong that the gene will increase in frequency until
there is an equilibrium between the two.  That will occur
at about 88.4% apterous allele, the remainder being wild
type.  Hope this helps!  :-)