endogenous beta-galactosidase activity in SL2 cells

nbacon at unforgettable.com nbacon at unforgettable.com
Mon Dec 22 07:01:18 EST 1997

I am new to drosophila work and would appreciate the answer to a simple
question.

Do drosophila melanogaster cells have an endogenous beta-galactosidase
activity? I am using a lac-z containing vector as a transfection control
(with a CMV promoter) but get the same value in transfected and non-
transfected cells, when using an ONPG based beta-gal assay.

I do know the transfection is effective.

Should a mammalian CMV promotor be adequate in these cells, and can ONPG
cause false positives in this assay?

Thank you for your time and interest,

Please reply to my email address: nbacon at unforgettable.com