Beneficial (?) fungus in D. pseudoobscura collection

Lisa Megna megna at mendel.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Feb 5 15:37:46 EST 1997

: For obscura group species, which use many non-fermenting
: substrates, substrates without microorganisms or those
: with mainly S.c. are very poor food sources indeed.  Your
: pseudoobscura are probably very happy to have the mould !  A
: similar phenomenon has been documented for D. immigrans
: (Atkinson 1983 i think).

Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations on what one could
feed members of the obscura group other than yeast?  My lab mates get
a bit annoyed when they see me with moldy bottles, though I have
also noted this phenomenon for the obscura group and D. buscki.

Lisa

			lisa, "mistress of the flies"

Lisa Megna                    Lisa says on a night like this,
megna at mendel.berkeley.edu      "It might be nice if you gave me a kiss"
(510) 597-0683	              Lisa says, "Honey for just one little smile, I'll
 lab  643-5633                  sing and play for you for the longest while..."

                         	   'Lisa Says' - The Velvet Underground