Beneficial (?) fungus in D. pseudoobscura collection

Mark Thorson eee at netcom.com
Thu Feb 6 23:29:32 EST 1997

In article <5dar2q$nki at agate.berkeley.edu>,
Lisa Megna <megna at mendel.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

>Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations on what one could
>feed members of the obscura group other than yeast?  My lab mates get
>a bit annoyed when they see me with moldy bottles, though I have
>also noted this phenomenon for the obscura group and D. buscki.

I'm very interested in the possibility of using a beneficial
mold as a substitute for mold inhibitor.  What would be the
best mold to use?  I'm tempted to ask the guy at BYU for a
sample of his stuff, it sounds so good.

I'm planning to set up a mass culture soon.  I've been thinking
that a plastic garbage can or wastebasket lined with a big garbage
bag would do the job.  The top could be cheesecloth with bungee
cords around the circumference of the top of the garbage can.
Drop in sliced bananas, an open vial of flies from Carolina
Biological Supply, maybe a mold starter, then wait.  When the
culture is sufficiently spent, just gather up the top of the
bag and throw it out.  Nothing to clean up!  Does anyone have
comments or suggestions on this plan?

For my purposes, it doesn't matter whether the flies get a
little beat up at harvest time, so I've been thinking of using
a Dustbuster to harvest them.  I've already ordered a vestigial
wing mutant, so they won't be flying out when I take the
cheesecloth off.  But I'm certainly open to suggestions in this
area.  I haven't raised _D._melanogaster_ since I was a
teenager, so I've got a lot to learn and re-learn.