FRUITFLY MUTATIONS PROJECT! HELP PLEASE!

Tritech Research Tritech_Research at lamg.com
Fri Feb 7 22:47:19 EST 1997

To anyone who can help me!!!!!

	I'm a high school student interested in manipulating the mutation rates of
Drosophila. I'd like to add a chemical compound to the flies' mash but have
no idea as to what chemical could be used to induce the mutation. Obviously
I'd like to use a chemical which would show a marked difference from the
natural mutation rates.

Respond PLEASE!

Sincerely, Patrick Murphy

patrick.murphy at horton.ednet.ns.ca
----------------
There are a number of nasty chemicals, like ethyl methane sulfonate
which will mutagenize the flies a lot.  But, the nastier the chemical,
the more you have to be careful not to mutagenize yourself, so stuff
like that may not be appropriate to have in High School.  One thing you
might try is the disgusting stuff that collects in the inside end of a
cigarette filter.  That does wonders in a bacterial mutagenesis assay
called the Ames Test.  Or, you could take a bottle of flies to your local
hospital or dentist and have them x-ray the bottle for a while.

Does anyone else know if the cigarette thing will work?

Andy Papp
tritech_research at LAMG.com