A Few Question

Hagbard Celine hagbard at frontiernet.net
Sat Feb 8 22:33:59 EST 1997

Hello-
  I am Hagbard Celine, a high school student here in Roch, NY.
Recently, I nicked a vial of D. melanogaster from the bio lab.  I know,
not exactly the most ethical way to obtain them, but they were about to
be killed in alcohol anyway.  In fact, the only reason I was not allowed
to take them in the first place is a cheesy state law which says I can't
take school organisms home, a law which I have been breaking for almost
four years with my cultures of bacteria on the agar plates in my room.
So, I would like to know the optimum conditions for growing an extremely
large number of these, because I have had them for several generations
and although they are reproducting the population number in the vial
stays constant at 42, + or - 5.  I found the Drosophila lab exciting and
interesting (although the dumb writeup was a pain in the @$$) and would
like to begin similar experiments at home.  The culture is a mix of many
genotypes, as I took some drosophila from each grou in the MORGUE
batch.  I plan on growing a rather large quantity, purifying them based
on certain traits, and then using this to analyse the wild flies I have
living in my house over the summer.  Any help you can give me would be
greatly appreciated.

hc

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
| I don't exist when you don't see me          | Freeman Hagbard
Celine       |
/ I don't exist when you're not here           / Citizen of the
World         /
| What the eye don't see won't break the heart |
hagbard at frontiernet.net      |
/ You can make believe when we're apart        / Always in the market
for     /
| But when you leave I disappear               | Sisters of Mercy
bootlegs    |
/ When you don't see me...                     / Turn on * Tune in *
Drop out /