increased recombination

Olaf Vef ovef at
Wed Feb 12 07:44:11 EST 1997

In article <32FC9109.5928 at>, stewart at FMI.CH (Stewart Mary) wrote:

> Hello,
> Can anyone tell me if increased recombination occurs in stocks with
> multiple balancer chromosomes or direct me to papers describing this and
> the rate of increase (if there is one).
> Thanks,
> Mary Stewart

Hi Mary,
I have four fold balancer stock CyO/Pm ; CxD/TM6b and there is some
recombination in this stock. So for example you find CyO flies with brown
ies and Plum-balancer with red ies. And you always find some TM6b flies
without Tubby. If FM7 is part of multiple balancer system you can«t trust
for any of the FM7 markers.

best wishes

Olaf Vef
Institut fuer Genetik