Fruit Flies

Tritech Research Tritech_Research at lamg.com
Mon Feb 17 02:14:28 EST 1997

More info on that experiment:
My biology teacher assigned an experiment to my class last week, He gave
my lab group a mutant fly (amber) culture and we must cross it with wild
flies. After the experiment we must tell him whether the mutant was
dominant or recessive, and whether the mutant is autosomal or
sex-linked. What is the best hypothesis, and the best way to go about
this experiment?  Any info. wold be helpful. thanx
---------------
Aren't you kids supposed to be learning something and doing
your homework?  If you are smart enough to find this newsgroup
on the internet, I'm sure you can figre out what to do.

Ask your teacher how to perform a cross.  Set it up both ways
(two crosses, where the males come from each strain).  Look
at the babies (F1).  Are any amber?  Does this correlate with
their sex?  If not, self-cross the F1's from a bottle.  Look at their
babies (F2).  Now what do you see?

Enjoy the science! : )

Andy Papp